Connecticut Grounds Keepers Association

Minutes from the CGKA Annual General Meeting -  12-13-2016 Jones Auditorium CASE New Haven

 

Dinner was served as members talked about a many subjects about our industry.

 

The meeting was called to order at 6:55 pm by president Dave Christensen.

 

There were 17 members present. 

 

Executive Director Ed Walsh gave a year in review report.  During 2016 Ed hosted several events for CGKA members as well as some open to the public.  These events included DMV workshops, social night dinners, battery power equipment work shop, summer BBQ, Zika Virus seminal and a work shop on liquid ice control.

 

Total paid and honorary members for 2016 is 186 to date.

 

Nominations for officers and board members were read.  President Joe Sims, Vice President George Cargos, Treasurer Phil Grande, Recording Secretary Dave Wollman.  Board Members Dave Christensen, Kaz Click, Wayne Daly, Giovanni Dimonaco, Ted Greiner, Phil Janssen, Dave Lenz, Emilio Troiana.  There were no additional nominations.  A motion was made and seconded that the secretary cast one vote for the nominated list.  Vin Mendillo cast one vote.

 

Dave Christensen introduced the 3 new board members, Kaz Click, Dave Lenz and Phil Janssen.

 

Phil Janssen suggested that at meetings members talk about something new they are trying, either a new piece of equipment or something they built.  Phil also suggested members bring in a problem weed or plant.

 

Treasurer Phil Grande reported that CGKA fiscal year ended 11-30-2016.  Phil stated that the treasury is in good shape and there were not any unusual expenses.  Phil stated that CGKA is a NOT FOR PROFIT association.  In compliance with the IRS regulations, members are informed that 90% of your dues is a bona fide business deduction.  The other 10% is lobby expenses which are not deductible as a business expense.  CGKA is a member of CTEC.  The tax returns are available for any member to review if they wish to.  To review any tax records you can contact Phil at 203-931-1230. 

 

CGKA has an endowment at UCONN and provides scholarships to students majoring in the landscape industry.  CGKA gives out 3 -4 each year for the past 30 years. 

 

Congratulations was given to Ed Walsh for a great job as Executive Director.

 

Dave Christensen introduced Joe Sims as our new president.

CGKA thanked two board members who are stepping down.  Vin Mendillo has served as a board member and recording secretary for 34 years.  Dave Peterson served as a board member and on the conference committee for 17 years. 

 

The 2017 CGKA annual conference will be held at the Radisson Inn in Cromwell, CT on February 23, 2017.  All who are planning to attend must pre-register.  There are no walk ins on the day of the conference.

 

The meeting adjourned at 8:03pm